Well, I’ve completed a new MOC, though I have nowhere near enough pieces to actually create a physical copy. The LDD software makes it easy to take pictures though, so it might have turned out better than real life.

Anyone who has played the classic generation 1 Pokémon games (Red, Blue, Yellow) will recognize this as the main character sprite. This sort of MOC is a far cry from my usual ships and space creations, but I wanted more practice with figures and SNOT techniques. I soon realized that building with the LDD software makes SNOT quite difficult, at least for me, so I changed to making every structure with classic building techniques instead. This left me with a bit of a problem – 3 LEGO plates equal 1 brick in height, but 2 studs wide equals 5 plates in width. This meant that there was no easy way to make squares (absolutely necessary to represent pixels) smaller than 5 plates thick x 2 studs wide – a size far too large to deal with. I compromised, using 2 plates in some layers and 3 in others to balance it out and the end result turned out well.

I decided to make everything as pixel-perfect as possible, which proved difficult since the original sprite looks completely different from the front and side. His eyes, mouth, hands, and even hat have different dimensions and locations – not a big deal in 2D but extremely frustrating in 3D. I resolved most of it by giving him an extra face on each side of his head, invisible when viewed straight-on, and some clever concealing of some bricks when viewed at certain angles. As a result, this is as accurate as I believe he could possibly get, and I’m very satisfied with the results.

I made the background based on the route just outside Pallet Town, and the patterned ground is accurate to the game as far as I can make it without SNOT. I’m quite happy with how it all turned out, and hopefully I’ll by able to fully build it at some point. I like the idea of making classic video game sprites, and I might do more of them in the future.

I’ll content myself with the LDD file for now, since the $150 price tag from LEGO seems prohibitive. Bricklink will most likely give me a better option, but that’s for a later date. If you’d like to take a look at the model for yourself, you can get the file here (you’ll need the LEGO Digital Designer software to view it). I also uploaded the reference sprites and the initial models I made to judge scale if you happen to be interested.

Now I just need a flickr account…


One Comment on “Red”

  1. […] Red and Yellow – Two MOCs I made on LDD based on the original generation Pokémon games. 3-D representations of the main character sprites. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s